October 7, 2014 § Leave a comment
My parents and I took an afternoon drive to Stockholm, Wisconsin, to see the fall colors and sample some pie from the Stockholm Pie Company (triple berry for Dad, sour cream raisin for Mom and me). A perfect fall day to be out and about.
I visited Stockholm for the first time this past summer and fell in love with the charming little town, population 66. I tried not to replicate photos this time, but feel free to compare.
August 19, 2014 § 2 Comments
- Try not to hurl as the aircraft attempts to land in Detroit but instead tosses in midair like the measly bag of pretzels churning in your gut.
- Land in Ohio and cue boredom.
- Use your time wisely by taking unnecessary photos of other diverted planes waiting to refuel alongside yours:
- Get to know your fellow travelers and flight attendant (ESL teacher, cat lover, former NYC cop, father flying to LA to visit his son dying of cancer, Vietnam vet who nearly died in a helicopter crash).
- Read — preferably an essay or book by Sean Wilsey, my favorite author of the month.
- Leave Ohio.
- Eat free snacks smuggled to you from first class by the flight attendant you befriended earlier when stranded on the Ohio tarmac.
- Savor the sunset others cannot see from earth:
- Disregard the message from Delta that says your connecting flight has been changed to leave at 7:30 tomorrow morning rather than 8:45 this evening and instead sprint 33 gates to your original connecting flight and, miracle of miracles, make it on board with time to spare (winner, winner, chicken, beer).
- Reminisce about your happy vacation on the final leg of your journey and remember why you love coming home, e.g., a normal, healthy diet; routine; sleeping in your own bed.
August 17, 2014 § 2 Comments
Photographs of mountains rarely capture their splendor. I won’t bore you with the dozens I took today, but here are a few I liked from this foggy, cool Sunday afternoon — all taken in New Hampshire’s White Mountains, Franconia Notch State Park.
August 16, 2014 § Leave a comment